• History of Surrattsville

    Information shared by the members of the Surrattsville High School Foundation:


    Updated early history



    Note these actions of the Board of Education

    early historical notes2

     

     

    diplomas

     

     

     

     

    1950 history

     




     

    These "Facts About Surrattsville" appeared in the Clinton VFD Old Timers Club's 2006 calendar (along with lots of great historical photos of Clinton): 

    "In 1869 it was a small white frame building with adjoining stable and outside plumbing fixtures.  In 1907, on June 3rd, Surratts had its first graduate, Blanche Teresa Hurtt.  In 1917 a new two story frame structure was built.  In 1919 the old school building was sold.  In 1948 two rooms were added to the two story frame.  In 1952 a new annex building, containing a modern cafeteria, multi-purpose room, gymnasium, home economics facilities, science lab and six classrooms, was added. 

    School Colors: 1907: blue and gray; 1929: blue and gold; 1944: maroon and gold; 1950: green and white.  Yearbooks: 1929: The Blue and Gold; 1938: The Shield; 1944: Salmagundi (Spanish for mixture of things); 1946 - Present: The Boomerang. 

    Alma Mater: written by Rosa Ferris in 1951

    Principals: 

    Mr. Eugene Burroughs, 1898 - 1899, 1901, 1014; 

    Mr. Arthur Meloy, 1899-1901; 

    Mr. T. B. Gwynn, 1914-1918; 

    Mrs. MacKay, 1918-1922; 

    Mr. Summers, 1922-1927;

     Mr. High, 1927; 

    Mr. Truman Klein, 1927-1942;

     Mr. John Bond, 1942-1948;

     Mr. John M. Pryde, 1948-1967;

     Mr. Kalman J. Vozar, 1967-1970;

     Mr. Donald Buck, 1971-1977, 

    Dr. Mildred Biedenkapp, 1977-1981;

     Mr. Eugene Colgan, 1981-1993, 

    Mr. Robert Dredger, 1993-1995;

     Mrs. Francis Collins, 1995-1998; 

    Mr. William Barnes, 1998-2005; 

    Ms. Alice Swift-Howard, 2005-2009; 

    Ms. Kristi Holden, 2009-2016, 

    Ms. Katrina Lamont, 2016-Present.