• Frequently Asked Questions


    Editor's Menu

    What is an Ombudsman?

    The Ombudsman is appointed by the Prince George's County Board of Education and is considered an independent or neutral party who seeks to resolve school-related problems as quickly and efficiently as possible, especially for those for which a formal resolution process does not exist.

    What authority does the Ombudsman have?

    The Ombudsman has the authority to access all files, with your permission. All employees of the school system are directed to cooperate with the Ombudsman.

    Will my call to the Ombudsman be confidential?

    Yes. Absolutely, unless your concern involves the safety of others or yourself. If this is the case, we are required to follow mandated protocols. You may contact the Office of the Ombudsman at 301.808.8315.

    Whom does the Ombudsman assist?

    Anyone, parents, guardians, students, Prince George's County residents and school staff members can contact the Office of the Ombudsman to discuss or seek assistance in resolving a school or school-system related problem, concern, or complaint by phone, in writing, or by email. All inquiries and requests will be handled with professionalism with guaranteed confidentiality.

    Although the Ombudsman is available to answer questions regarding formal appeals and personnel matters, the Ombudsman generally does not intervene in such cases.

    To expedite a resolution to your concern or complaint please visit our How to Address Concerns page to view contact information from various departments and offices, learn about the resolution process and how you may contact appropriate offices and individuals to assist you.

    Prior to requesting Ombudsman Services, constituents should make contact with the appropriate school or department administrator or central office departments or divisions to resolve their concern.


    • Complaints involving a school-based personnel:
      • Contact the principal and attempt to resolve the problem informally. If the problem cannot be handled informally at the school level, the principal can assist you in submitting an Ombudsman Services Request form to receive formal assistance to resolve your complaint that, if necessary, can be appealed to the deputy superintendent and/or the CEO and the Board of Education. If you are uncertain about how to proceed, you may contact the Office of the Ombudsman for assistance.
    • Responding to Inquiries and Complaints from the Public
      • Complaints involving personnel or issues in non-school departments or offices: Contact the supervisor of the office or department. If you are unsure about the procedures, you may call the Office of the Ombudsman for assistance.
    • Issues and problems involving Board of Education policies or administrative procedures:

    Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. 

    What if I feel I am being discriminated against?

    The Prince George's County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to designated youth groups. The following people have been designated to handle inquiries
    regarding the non-discrimination policies:

    Title VI, ADA and Title IX Inquiries:
    The EEO Advisor
    Employee and Labor Relations
    Prince George's County Public Schools
    14201 School Lane, Room 208
    Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
    Office: 240-573-7049

    Section 504 Inquiries:
    The 504 Program Coordinator
    Division of Student Services
    Prince George's County Public Schools
    14201 School Lane
    Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
    Office: 301-952-6255

    What if I have another general question?

    If you have questions regarding general information about the school system, contact the Communications office at 301-952-6001.