The PGCPS Department of Transportation is currently seeking bus drivers. The position offers a starting salary of $17.87 per hour, with advancement opportunity up to $34.15 per hour.
- Health Insurance
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Sick Leave
- Summer Opportunities
Paid commercial drivers license (CDL) training is provided to all new hires. A complete history driving record is required for Maryland drivers, and a full history driving record is required for District of Columbia drivers
- No more than two current points on driving record
- Satisfactory past driving record
- At least 21-years-old
- At least five years driving experience
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL), Class A or B with passenger endorsement or Class B Learners Permit with passenger (P) and school bus (S) endorsements
- Ability to meet special training and qualifications determined by PGCPS
Apply online for a bus driver position by clicking here. Please use keyword IRC82685
For more information about the hiring of school bus drivers, contact Nicole Eubanks at Nicole.Eubanks@pgcps.org or contact the Human Resources Customer Service Center at 301.780.2191.
Bus Driver Training and Testing
Safety Meetings and Training
• Monthly Safety Meetings
• Training Topics: Sexual Harassment, Homelessness Training, Child Abuse Recognition, Driver Improvement Program, Alcohol Drug Testing, Fatigue & Drug Awareness Training
• Transportation Academy: Allows Transportation employees the opportunity to increase their knowledge of the pupil transportation industry for possible further advancement in the department.
Driver Improvement Program
The Driver Improvement Program provides the driver with techniques to enable the experienced vehicle operator to know where the front, rear and sides of the bus are while driving forward, backward, and turning maneuvers. The course is structured to improve driver’s overall skills in the performance of their daily duties.
Alcohol and Drug Testing Program
Every driver submits to pre-employment and random drug testing, as well as post-accident and reasonable cause. Alcohol Testing is done randomly, post-accident, or with reasonable cause.