We hope you enjoyed your Spring Break!
Our scholars' work continues!
Teachers are now focused on instructing students in skills needed for the next grade level.
These things will be reinforced throughout the remainder of the school year so that students will have a strong foundation moving into the next grade level and be prepared for future.
The culture and climate expectations (including the full school dress code) will continue to be enforced throughout the remainder of the school year.
Please send your scholar to school prepared accordingly.
As a way to enhance communication between the school and the home, follow Dr. Robinson on Twitter!
Check out the excellence at TJMS!
- Bullying and Gangs workshop on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 from 5:00 - 8:30 pm.
- FAST II Reading test on Wednesday, January 16, 2013
- There will be no school on Friday, January 18th or Monday January 21st 2013
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program OPEN HOUSE on Saturday, January 22, 2013 at Central High School from 6:30pm - 8:30 pm.
2nd Quarter Progress Reports were distributed Friday December 21, 2012.
2nd Quarter ends Thursday January 17, 2013.
Students: Are you meeting and exceeding standards, or simply trying to 'get by' ?
Strive for excellence, not mediocrity or 'average'.
TJMS In The NEWS:
October, Parent Involvement Month, with Thomas Johnson's first ever Parent University.
The university sponsored activities, events, and workshops throughout the entire month. These activities included Microsoft Monday's which were workshops on Internet Safety/Cyberbullying, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Excel.
Tuesdays were reserved for our PTSA and 6th and 8th parent nights. Next, there was Cultural Awareness Wednesday's, which included Spanish workshops and 7th grade parent night. Finally, we named Think-About-It Thursday's, which included workshops on the importance of accessing SchoolMax and its effective utilization to aid in student success.
We could not end the month without recognizing one of our parents for our Parent-of-the-Month, an initiative started by Ms. May that is done monthly. For the month of October, we recognize Ms. Sandra McKay.
Thank you parents for all of your support, as we continue with our university and other parent activities.
TJMS Recived a grant from the NEA for a much needed makeover. Hundreds of volunteers from the National Education Association came to TJMS in late June of 2012 and donated their time and sweat to make TJ a more visibly inviting learning environment.
Read about it here:
- “Lanham middle school gets makeover thanks to National Education Association,” Maryland Gazette, June 28, 2012, Natalie McGill, staff writer - http://www.gazette.net/article/20120628/NEWS/706289767/1123/lanham-middle-school-gets-makeover-thanks-to-national-education&template=gazette
- “Hundreds of NEA Volunteers Make Over A Middle School,” NEA.org, Amy Buffenbarger, staff writer (includes slideshow of images) - http://www.nea.org/grants/52328.htm
- “Hundreds of NEA Volunteers Revitalize Maryland Middle School in Annual ‘Outreach to Teach’: Educators put down their pencils and pick up shovels for a good cause,” press release from NEA.org, June 27, Celeste Busser, press officer (includes links to WKYS-FM and WWNEW-FM interviews)
- “Outreach to Teach 2012,” NEA Media Production group documents to transformation of Thomas Johnson Middle School http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgq7ATJVnkU&feature=youtu.be
And view local media reports about it here:
WJLA (Channel 7): http://wj.la/Lh3Lby
Fox 5 DC: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/18892522/volunteers-make-over-thomas-johnson-middle-school
Welcome to Thomas Johnson Middle School! Please click on the 2012-2013 School Year Information tab on the right for more information about expectations of current students and what you can do to help.
Information on the mandatory uniform policy at TJMS can be found here (including a few good reasons WHY we have one).
This website will be updated frequently over the course of the year, so check back often.
Staff listings have changed (frequently) over the past week, so we will be updating the website to reflect these changes shortly. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to a wonderful school year with you and your child!
Every Scholar • Every Class • Every Day