How To Apply
What are the minimum qualifications to apply? All applicants need the following:
The substitute office recruits for both substitute teachers and substitute paraprofessionals. Requirements for a substitute teacher position are below:
- Associate of Arts Degree (AA) or Associate of Science Degree (AS) from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of college minimum (90 credits attained) from an accredited college or university.
- Previous experience working with groups of children/students totaling six (6) months (classroom Monday - Friday) or twelve (12) months (extracurricular activities 3-4 times a month).
- Knowledge of the teaching and learning process preferred.
- Ability to draft lesson plans / educational activities for students when there are no plans available based.
- Ability to provide instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education.
- Must be able to work twenty-five (25) days during the school year.
All candidates applying, but screened "ineligible" for the substitute teacher position will automatically be considered for a substitute paraprofessional role. Requirements for a substitute paraprofessional are below:
- Two years volunteer or paid experience working with student
- High School Diploma
- Must have attained 30 credits from an accredited college or university
I applied online for the 2014/2015 vacancy but I didn't hear anything yet. What should I do?
Once you applied online you should have received a notification to confirm receipt. Please do not contact us to verify status as we are working as quickly as possible to review over 1,100 resumes received. As we begin to review resumes you will receive an email inviting you to contact us to schedule an interview or a notification that you didn't meet the requirements for the position.
I don't see where to apply.
The 2014/2015 substitute teacher vacancy closed on September 30, 2014. The position will reopen in Spring 2015. All applications must be submitted online during while the vacancy is open. If you miss the deadline and are a former PGCPS substitute teacher or teacher, please email your resume to email@example.com. All former employee resumes received will not be reviewed until we have interviewed all prospective candidates who applied online during the open vacancy timeframe. Please do not send your resume via email if you are not a former PGCPS substitute teacher or teacher.
Can I bring my resume to your office?
No. We only accept resumes that have been submitted online through our recruiting software. If the position is no longer available we will not be able to accept your resume until the next vacancy has opened.
What is the process to becoming a substitute teacher once I am contacted for an interview?Click here
to see our substitute teacher recruitment process.
- $70.38/day – Non-degreed (Minimum of 60 credits)
- $102/day – Degreed (Bachelors or higher)
- $153/day – Retired Teacher (Must provide verification)
Long-term – Begins on the 16th consecutive day for the same teacher in the same assignment.
- $92.82/day – Non-degreed
- $122.40/day – Degreed
- $178.50/day – Retired Teacher
Note: An absence during the long-term assignment will result in the pay rate returning to the daily rate of pay.
Substitute Paraprofessional: $10.66 per hour