ABOUT OXON HILL HIGH SCHOOL
The Oxon Hill Consolidated School, a union of five elementary schools, started in 1925. The school's first addition came in 1926, with three more in a period between 1928 and 1938 at the site which is currently Oxon Hill Elementary School on Livingston Road.
In 1948, the consolidated school ended and a grades 7 through 12 school was established in a new two-story building, which is currently the Education and Staff Development Center facing Maryland Route 210 (Indian Head Highway). The school operated on a split session until John Hanson Junior High School opened. With an expanding suburban population (approximately 1959) the current, larger school campus opened on Leyte Drive in the Southlawn community (SLC). In the 1960’s-1970’s many of the neighborhoods that fed into Oxon Hill High School were switched to Potomac, Crossland, and Friendly high schools after those schools were built) The school's music departments were especially noted, winning awards on local, national, and international levels. The student body was nearly all Caucasian, which gradually changed to majority African American as did the community. In the 1980’s, the school was expanded by adding the magnet program's Science and Technology building.
In 1966 Oxon Hill High School, then serving as a senior high school with grades 10, 11, and 12, was selected as one of the first dozen high schools in the United States to participate in the U.S. Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFJROTC) program.
A complete new school facility is scheduled to open in August 2013 next to the current site which is scheduled to be demolished during the 2013-2014 school year.
OXON HILL, MD HISTORY
Oxon Hill was named for the colonial 18th century manor home of Thomas Addison (which burned in 1895 but was replaced in 1929 by a large home called Oxon Hill Manor, standing on a bluff over the Potomac River). "Oxon" is an abbreviation for the Latin Oxoniensis, meaning "of Oxford." The area now known as Oxon Hill reminded Addison of the area near Oxford, England. The area was then named "Oxford-on-the-Hill". It was later changed to Ox'on Hill then to the permenant Oxon Hill.Source: Nathania A. Branch Miles and Jane Taylor Thomas ((2006). Oxon Hill. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0-7385-4255-5. Retrieved 2007-07-31
Source: Nathania A. Branch Miles and Jane Taylor Thomas ((2006). Oxon Hill. Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 0-7385-4255-5. Retrieved 2007-07-31
About Our Mascot - Clippers
"A clipper was a very fast sailing ship of the 19th century that had three or more masts and a square rig. They were generally narrow for their length, could carry limited bulk freight, small by later 19th century standards, and had a large total sail area. Clipper ships were mostly made in British and American shipyars, though France, the Netherlands and other nations also produced some. Clippers sailed all over the world, primarily on the trade routes between the United Kingdom and its colonies in the east, in trans-Atlantic trade, and the New York-to-San Francisco route round Cape Horn during the California Gold Rush.
The boom years of the Clipper Ship Era began in 1843 as a result of the growing demand for a more rapid delivery of tea from China. It continued under the stimulating influence of the discovery of gold in California and Australia in 1848 and 1851, and ended with the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869.
The term "clipper" most likely derives from the verb "clip", which in former times meant, among other things, to run or fly swiftly. The first ships to which the term "clipper" seems to have been applied were the Baltimore clippers. Baltimore clippers were topsail schooners developed in the Chesapeake Bay before the American Revolution, and which reached their zenith between 1795 and 1815."
Oxon Hill High School graduates, near and far, take great pride in calling themselves "Clippers"!
6701 Leyte Drive | Oxon Hill, MD 20745 | Tel:301-749-4300