Attention Self-Assessment Parents... Please click on this link for the Self-Assessment Survey.
The Head Start Program mission is to provide an integrated system of quality services to participating families and eligible children. Head Start encourages self-sufficiency, growth, and development supported through family and community partnerships. Head Start:
- Is Primarily federally funded;
- Provides comprehensive multidisciplinary services to meet the needs of children and their families, promoting school readiness;
- Recognizes the parents as the child’s primary educator, nurturer, and advocate;
- Encourages parents to become involved in policy and program decision making and to participate as volunteers; and
- Serves eligible children 3-5 years of age.
- Applications are available at the Central Head Start Office located at 8908 Riggs Road, Adelphi, Maryland 20783 or click on the application link on the left side of this page for an electronic version
- Applications must be signed and in their original version. Faxed or copied applications will not be processed.
- Note: The following documentation will be required to verify eligibility: proof of child's age (birth certificate) and proof of current income of Parent(s)/Guardian(s) (Click on Poverty Guidelines link on the left side of this page). Please do not send original birth certificate and/or proof of income. The last day to submit an application for 2015-2016 academic year is August 30, 2015.
- Applications must include all required support documentation (view cover letter for list of approved documentation).
- Note: If an application is missing any required support documentation, it will not be processed, and a new application must be completed and the application date is reset.
- Note: In addition, other information (documentation) may be requested by the Program Supervisor, according to Federal regulations, in order to determine eligibility.
- Upon receipt of a completed application, candidates will receive notification with further information detailing the PGCPS Head Start process.
- Completed applications will take a minimum of six (6) weeks to be processed.
- Applicants will receive a “Head Start Registration Day” invitation letter based on their individual ranking within the program eligibility guidelines, as established by the Federal government and space availability.
- All information needed to register eligible children will be included with the invitation.
- Head Start Registration Days will be conducted at sites located in the northern, central, and southern areas of Prince George’s County.
- All required documents must be completed and approved, by the Head Start program, prior to the registration process being considered as complete.
- Parents of children who are eligible for enrollment into Head Start will receive an acceptance or wait list letter based on available space/capacity.
- Note: Registration does not guarantee program or class placement.
- Students are placed by the PGCPS Head Start program utilizing a neutral electronic system. Individual staff and/or school sites do not determine program availability or student placement.