• Thursday, March, 22, 2018 - Code Blue - Due to unsafe conditions on roads and walking routes, schools are closed. Offices will open with two hour delay. All 12-month personnel are expected to report. A Liberal Leave policy will be in effect for non-emergency personnel. 

    Jueves, 22 de marzo, 2018 - Código Azul –  Dadas las condiciones peligrosas en las carreteras y las ceras, las escuelas estarán cerradas hoy. Oficinas abrirán con dos horas de demora. Todos los empleados de 12 meses deben reportarse al trabajo. Estará vigente la política de licencia liberal para el personal que no es de emergencia.

  • About Our School

    In 1968, Francis T. Evans Elementary School opened, named in honor of the brave captain.  It is named after air force pilot Captain Francis T. Evans (1921-1953).  Captain Evans served in the European Theater during World War II, flying more than one hundred missions.  After the war he returned to civilian life, but went back into the military when the 121st Fighter Squadron on the D.C. National Guard was put into Federal Service.  Francis T. Evans lost his life in an attempt to keep his stricken aircraft from crashing into Forestville Elementary School.  Approaching Andrews Air Force Base for a landing, he reported that his F860 Sabrejet’s  Hydraulic System was not operating properly.   Since this condition affects the landing mechanism of the aircraft, a pilot usually bails out leaving the plane to crash.  Observers are convinced that Captain Evans stayed with the plane to make sure it did not crash into  the school and its play area.   His plane fell 200 yards from the school. 


    US Air Force Airmen from Andrews AFB were involved in a project to improve the display inside Francis T. Evans Elementary in honor of Capt Evans. Master Sgts. Matt Cagle and Phillip Allen, 744th Communication Squadron, built an oak display case to display the Evans portrait, plaque and other memorabilia of the school’s namesake.

    FTE History

    School memorial display case built in honor of the school’s namesake May 2, 2014.