The mission of DuVal High School is to prepare our students to compete successfully for desirable academic and career opportunities in an increasingly global society. High expectations for learning and teaching, ongoing assessments for student and teacher performance, strategic and differentiated instruction and productive stakeholder partnerships will ensure that all students are prepared to meet their personal goals, regardless of their race, gender, family background or special needs.
Statement of Beliefs
1. All students CAN meed meet high expectations for learning and conduct.
2. Teaching, learning, and conduct expectations must be clearly defined and communicated to teachers and students to ensure accountability
3. Instruction must be strategic, rigorous and differentiated in order to ensure high achievement for all students.
4. The school must maintain a safe and orderly environment.
5. Students must be given ample opportunities to develop their interests and talents in order to become confident and well-rounded adults.
Profile of a High School Graduate
Secondary School Reform
Prince George’s County Public Schools (PGCPS) is pursuing a new vision to ensure that 100% of our graduates are college and workforce ready. Secondary School Reform is the strategic implementation of that vision. Part of Secondary School Reform is to define what skills are necessary for a graduating senior to be prepared for both college level courses and productive careers in the 21st century economy.
What skills and abilities does a PGCPS graduate need
to be both college and career ready?
Prince George’s County Public Schools is dedicated to providing students with
the requisite interpersonal and academic skills to be successful in future higher education and career pursuits. Graduates will be able to:
1. Acquire important information and skills
2. Make meaning of that content
3. Effectively transfer their learning to new situations both within school and
THE PGCPS PROMISE – At A Glance
To their fullest potential, a Prince George’s County Public School graduate will
demonstrate specific skills and knowledge in the following areas:
21st Century Skills
• An Effective Communicator and Collaborator
• A Successful Problem Solver
• A Responsible Person
• An Engaged Global and Domestic Citizen
Core Content Areas of Knowledge
• Social Studies
• Fine Arts
• World Languages
Every content area at every grade level will demonstrate academic rigor in all
instructional practices. These skills are critical in preparing for the future as
21st century citizens and will be integrated into all the academic areas of study.
For more information regarding Secondary School Reform and details on the Profile of a PGCPS Graduate: