At Drew Freeman Middle School a quality education is a civil right. We will educate all students by developing critical thinkers, cultivate a safe and orderly environment and meet the unique needs of our students with excellence and equity.
We aspire to empower all students to become life-long learners to ensure that every child can successfully navigate and negotiate in a 21st Century World.
Every child will master and apply the skills of the core curriculum.
Every teacher will master distinguished practices to ensure student learning.
Every member of our school community will contribute to a respectful and supportive school culture.
What We Believe
At DFMS, we believe that:
1. Every child deserves to go to school in a healthy, safe, engaging, supportive, and challenging environment.
2. Teaching school dependent children is hard but rewarding work that requires a growth mindset, grit, perseverance and resiliency.
3. Education is a civil right supported through a collective commitment to social justice and equity.
4. Every child must develop the key intellectual abilities that expert thinking and complex communication demands.
5. That the school house must be differentiated in its approach and responsive to the individual needs of each student.
6. Students are not to be punished for misbehavior but supported in making better decisions through an advisory program, PBIS, restorative practices and peer mediation.
7. An engaging, highly skilled and effective teacher is essential in every classroom.
8. We are a learning organization committed to developing our practice. Collaboration is essential and no staff member is an independent contractor working in isolation but instead every staff member is willing to work in a community of practice where ideas are developed, challenged and refined.
9. Deep content knowledge, strong pedagogical skill and caring and consistent relationships are essential to effective teaching and student learning.
10. All decisions are research based and determined by the evidence that a data driven culture requires and demands.