Frederick Douglass High School
8000 Croom Road
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Frederick Douglass High School empowers our students to become effective communicators, globally-minded problem-solvers, and life-long learners who realize their potential and become ethical, service-oriented citizens.
Frederick Douglass High School strives to be an inviting, safe, and caring learning community dedicated to excellence so that students will be prepared for the college and/or career of their choice.
Children come first. All students can learn and develop as a productive member of our society, regardless of their intellectual, cultural, and socio-economic differences. Parents are our partners. Continuous improvement in teaching, leadership, and accountability is key. Every member of the Douglass community shares the responsibility for the success of our school.
Definition of Rigor:
The staff of Frederick Douglass High School defines rigor as the process of creating an inviting learning environment that is conducive to higher order thinking skills and requires students to raise their level of self-accountability supported through challenging and relevant instruction that is aligned with state and local content standards.
It is characterized by:
An interdisciplinary academic curriculum;
Student-centered instruction through the use of hands-on experiences and integrated technology;
Varied methods of assessments; and
Real-world application of applied knowledge to achieve career oriented goals.
The History of Frederick Douglass High School
Our school is named after the famous abolitionist, journalist, and orator, Frederick Douglass. Born a slave, he obtained his freedom and became one of the preeminent leaders of the time.
Frederick Douglass High School (FDHS) was the first high school for African-Americans in Prince George’s County. In 1922, Mr. Doswell E. Brooks, Supervisor of schools for African-American students, along with many community leaders, planned and raised money to build a high school. Mr. Sheldon Sasscer of Upper Marlboro offered the land for this structure. In September 1923, Marlboro High School opened its doors to African-American students of Prince George’s County. The school consisted of four classrooms where grades 8-11 were taught. This school was a joy for students who had previously traveled to Washington or Baltimore for their high school education.
A new Marlboro High School was built in 1934 and was renamed Frederick Douglass High School in 1935. The present Frederick Douglass High School was opened in 1959. The present FDHS represents the pinnacle of the work and dedication of the parents, students, and teachers that preceded us. Honor the FDHS “Tradition of Pride.”