Prince George’s County Public Schools Computer, Network, and InternetACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
Navigating the World Wide Web
Guidelines for Safe Travel on the Internet
The increasing availability of technology creates both opportunities and risks for students. Since the potential for harm from the misuse of technology (especially on the Internet) is significant, our school has established guidelines by which students can use the Internet in a legal, safe, productive and ethical manner. To ensure everyone's safety, our students agree to the following:
- I will not use chat lines or instant messaging while I'm at school.
- I will visit only those sites that are related to my schoolwork. If I come across a site that makes me feel uncomfortable, I will tell my teacher.
- I will respect all copyright laws by giving credit to the author.
- I will not intentionally destroy or alter another student's files.
- I will keep my password a secret.
- I will be polite and use appropriate language when using the computer to communicate.
- I will not use email or any site on the Internet to hurt others in any way.
- I will take care of the equipment in the classroom and/or lab.
- I will not give out personal information such as an address or telephone number.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Consequences for not following the guidelines:
- Restricted Internet access
- Loss of Internet access
- Disciplinary action by school administration as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.
Prince George’s County Public Schools Computer, Network, and InternetACCEPTABLE USE POLICY2010-2011 School Year
I have read and understand the school district policies relating to acceptable use of the Prince George’s County Public Schools computer network and the Internet. I agree to abide by them (accept them). I further understand that any violation of the policies is unethical and may constitute a violation of law. Should I commit any violation, my access privileges may be revoked, school disciplinary action may be taken, and/or appropriate legal action may be taken.
Student's Full Name (please print):
School Name: Cool Spring Elementary School Date:
Student’s Signature: Grade:
Parent or Guardian
As the parent or guardian of this student, I have read the policies relating to acceptable use of the Prince George’s County Public Schools computer network and the Internet. I understand that this access is designed for educational purposes only. The District has taken steps to monitor Internet use, however, I recognize it is impossible for the school district to restrict access to all inappropriate materials and I will not hold the school district or its employees or agents responsible for materials acquired on the Internet. Further, I accept full responsibility for supervision if and when my child’s use is not in a school setting. I hereby give permission to issue an account for network and Internet access to my child and certify that the information contained on this form is correct.
Parent or Guardian's Name (please print):
Parent or Guardian's Signature: