ENROLLING IN A CHARTER SCHOOL
If you are currently living in Prince George’s County but your child is not enrolled in a Prince George's County Public School, you will need to obtain a Prince George's County Public School issued student number for your child – this number is required to complete the charter school lottery application. You do not need to withdraw your child from the school currently attending in order to get this number. If you currently residing in Prince George's County Public School and your child attends a non-public school, you will need to provide the most recent report card as part of entry or re-entry into the Prince George's County Public Schools.
PROOF OF RESIDENCE
Proof of residence is a
prerequisite of admission to the public schools. Such proof must have
the name and address of the person registering the student listed. It
must also be provided to school personnel with any change in residence
or any change in schools. The person who is registering a student in
Prince George’s County Public Schools for the first time must complete
an Affidavit of Disclosure, as required by law, verifying their legal
Proof of residence may be established by any of the following
documents: settlement papers, lease agreement, rental receipt, deed of
property, or a tax assessment bill. The documents must be originals, not
copies. If there is a question regarding the validity of one of the
proofs, school personnel may require additional information, such as a
recent utility bill or employment verification. An individual may only
have one principal residence and that residence is used to determine
school assignments. In general, PGCPS follows the provisions of Code of
Maryland Regulations (COMAR) to determine the principal residence.
Getting a Student Number--- What Every Parent Should Know and Do Before Entering the Lottery!!!!
Contact the school assigned for your home address to make arrangements to obtain the student number. Your home school can be found by visiting School Finder at: http://gis.pgcps.org/schoolfinder/findschool2.asp
- Bring your child's original birth certificate and your proof of Prince George's County residence; you may use your deed, settlement papers or a lease or rental agreement to provide proof of residence;
- If you have residence other than the aforementioned please call the Pupil Accounting School Boundaries Office at 301-952-6300 for information on what documents to provide as your proof of residence);
- Inform the Secretary/Registrar that you need a student number to apply for the lottery. Remain at the school until the number is issued by the Secretary/Registrar. Use this number for application for your child to enter a Charter School;
- If your child has been home schooled, you must register with the Home Schooling Office at 301-333-1001 before entering the charter school lottery; See more by visiting: http://www.pgcps.org/~procedur/5000/5113.5.pdf.
- If your child's most current school was out of the country, you must enroll or re-enroll with the International Student Counseling Office at 301-445-8460 before entering the charter school lottery. - See more at: http://www1.pgcps.org/charters/#sthash.vJ4l2ljK.dpuf.
- More details on registration can be found by visiting: http://www1.pgcps.org/communications/index.aspx?id=147067
My child is already a student in Prince George's County Public Schools - where would I find the student number?
Look at your child's report card. The student number is a 9 digit number starting with 000 or 10. Or you can GO TO your child's school with proof of identity and request the student number.
Charter schools may implement instructional programs and curriculum standards that may be different than other traditional public schools. These schools are operated by community leaders or educational management organizations- but all are held accountable for performance standards and student achievement by the Prince George's County Board of Education.
2015-2016 PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOLS
- North Elementary-Chesapeake Math, Information and Technology (K-5), http://cmitelementary.org/
- North-Chesapeake Math, Information and Technology (6-11), http://www.cmitacademy.org/
- South-Chesapeake Math, Information and Technology (6-8),http://cmitsouth.org/
- College Park Academy (6-9), http://collegeparkacademy.com/
- EXCEL Academy(K-8) http://www.excelacademypcs.org/
- Imagine Andrews (K-8), http://imagineandrews.org/
- Imagine Foundation@Leeland (K-8), http://imaginefoundations.org/
- Imagine Foundation @ Morningside (K-6), http://imaginefoundations2.org/
- Imagine Lincoln (K-8), http://imaginelincoln.org/
- Turning Point Academy (K-8), http://www1.pgcps.org/turningpoint/