• Student Transfer Requests Frequently Asked Questions

     For a printable version of the FAQs below,  click here (en español). 

    How do I apply for a transfer request?

     The student transfer application is available online within the  SchoolMax Family Portal. Parents and legal guardians must have a username and password to access the portal. After logging in, click on the External System Access tab to get to the application. Families who do not have a SchoolMax Family Portal username and password can click here to view instructions on how to create an account. Transfer requests must be submitted during the Student Transfer Season. Transfer requests can be submitted outside of transfer season only for the following reasons:

    •  Families that moved into Prince George's County after the transfer season ended 

    •  The student has a health issue or other documented, compelling reason for changing schools 

    •  The family is moving to a new neighborhood and the student would like to remain in their current school until the program or school year ends 

     Can I apply for a transfer request to any school within PGCPS

     Only  schools with available seats can be selected as a transfer option. This list will change as each school's enrollment reaches seating capacity or grade-level capacity. Although a school is listed, seats may not be available at every grade level. Transfers cannot be accepted for schools or programs with a separate admission process, such as a specialty program or public charter school. 

     When should my child stop attending their current school? 

     All students are expected to attend the school assigned to the address where their parents or legal guardians reside. Students must not withdraw from or stop attending their assigned school until they receive an official letter of transfer approval. There is no guarantee that a student will gain admission to a listed school. 

    How do I submit a transfer request based on the location of my child’s before and after school care provider? 

    Parents seeking a transfer based on before and after school care must submit a transfer request through the SchoolMax Family Portal and enter “before and after school care” as the reason for transfer (or select “Child Care Provision” on request form for non-enrolled students). School-based childcare is only available to families living within the boundary of the local school. If approved, the parent or legal guardian must submit proof of residency or a childcare license for the requested school’s attendance area and complete a residency verification form. These documents can be obtained from the approved school or the Office of Student Records, Transfers and Archival Services. Parents and legal guardians must provide a copy of the approval letter with documentation prior to enrollment. Before and After School Care Transfer Requests will only be considered for schools with available seats at the school and/or grade-level. If the request is based on childcare needs, please list the reason on the application.  

    What schools are eligible for transfers?  

     See list of available schools by  clicking here . Student Transfer Requests will only be considered for schools with available seats at the school and/or grade-level. 


     Can I submit a transfer request if my child is not currently enrolled in PGCPS?


    Yes. Families must obtain a family or student ID number from the boundary school or use the student ID number assigned prior to withdrawal; and, submit a Student Transfer Request Form to  student.transfers@pgcps.org.  

    If my transfer request is approved, is there transportation for my child? 

    Parents must accept full responsibility for transportation for all approved transfer requests. Students may not ride special buses designated for technical, vocational, career, special education, or other specialty programs.  

    When will I be notified? 

     A decision letter will be mailed via US Postal Service before June 12, 2017. 

    Who can I contact if I need additional help applying for a student transfer? 

    Parents requiring additional information and assistance in applying for a student transfer can visit the Office of Student Records, Transfers and Archival Services at the Oxon Hill Staff Development Center. The center is located at 7711 Livingston Road, Suite L, in Oxon Hill. Assistance is available Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. You may also consult the website or contact the  Office of Student Records, Transfers and Archival Services  at 301-567-8751 for more information.